Friday, June 23, 2006

All your EPF data for just RM5

An ex colleague of mine who has become a unit trust consultant met me to to discuss investing my EPF. When I told her I didn't know how much I had available in my Account 2 for investment, she said that it doesn't matter, she can get someone to find out for me. Huh? I asked, how was that possible since sensitive data like this can only be requestedby the EPF member? Turns out that some unscrupulous EPF staff are asking for RM5 per name from unit trust consultants (or any other financial salesperson) to check out members investible amounts. They do this without blinking an eyelid, proving how cheaply our country's civil servants treat personal data, turning it into their own twisted little enterprise.

I am so shocked I don't even know what to do next!

4 Comments:

At 3:48 pm, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...serious?!!
:(

 
At 5:24 pm, June 23, 2006, Blogger Tiensoon said...

This is sad. What degree of professionalism these people are up-holding. Selling the trust and accountability given to them at RM5!

Next we might have a stranger coming to us, and say "Hey, I'm sure you have 50k to be invested, and this is the proposal I've prepared". *Stoned*

 
At 5:52 pm, June 23, 2006, Blogger hew said...

Potentially it can be as easy as that - all you have to provide is your ic number and full name and leave it to these crooks to leak out your data.

 
At 5:57 pm, June 23, 2006, Blogger fishtail said...

This has been happening for years! You are right, most of the unit trust people (and others) seem to have a 'line' to some people inside EPF, and they can get everything about your account, especially how much you have. Amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter

Clean Blue. By Suga.